We left the doctor's office with the following:
- Charlie B has colic. {Not the over-the-top-this-kid-is-OMG-constantly-crying kind of colic, but the I-am-going-to-be-fussy-can't-do-anything-to-console-me-or-make-me-happy-from-the-hours-of-9pm-to-12am-momma-really-needs-to-be-online-working kind of colic.}
- Charlie B has a slight case of torticollis. {We were referred to physical therapy.}
- Charlie B has baby acne. {I have to start washing his clothes in baby detergent and trying to prevent any perfumes or irritants from coming in contact with his skin.}
- He needs vitamin drops since I am {mostly) nursing.
So...this is where I'm asking for it...
I need your prayers and your advice.
- What helped your colicky baby?
- Any going dairy-free tips? {I've read dairy sensitivities can cause colic and a friend of mine swears by going dairy-free while nursing her little ones. I'm seriously considering it.}
- Any torticollis stories?
Update:
Charlie B. is doing much better. I appreciate all of your prayers and suggestions. Here's what we have tried {and fingers crossed seems to have made things better}:
- Sent Poppie to Costco for the Free and Clear ALL - all kids clothes, blankets, burp clothes, etc. get washed in ALL. {Nick still gets his Gain.}
- No formula at all. Zero. Zilch. {I think this was the main culprit.}
- I have cut back on dairy but have not eliminated everything.
- Found a pacifier that he will take for more than 2.5 seconds...MAM brand.
I have to be away from him for a large chunk of time tomorrow for a meeting so I will be pumping {why do I dread it so?} for the first time. I suppose the kid has to eat...and I am sticking to my no formula guns for now.
I also purchased the gripe water - haven't opened it yet. Seriously...he has been that much better. He even has slept in his crib! What what!
We aren't in sleep all night baby mode yet...but...I think I can at least remember there is a light at the end of this tunnel.
No advice unfortunately, but I hope things get better soon. I've been wanting to ask you how you ended up with a middle schooler? None of my business, just curious. I'm sure you hear this everyday, but I don't know how you do it! I broke down after their 3 year check up as well because I felt like I was doing everything wrong, so don't feel bad. -Laura O.
ReplyDeleteDD had torticollis, she was a twin and it is super common with twins. I started feeding her in different postions so she had to turn her head the other way and when she was in the swing or bouncer we would put a rolled burpcloth under her head to force it to turn to the side.
ReplyDeleteDS had eczema and baby acne, we couldn't use dreft, was that reccomended? We have to use dye and perfume free - tide free and clear is what we liked. We use Aveeno baby wash and lotion and when it was really bad we used Cerave face wash to get it under control. Any kind of regular baby lotion made things so much worse.
No help on the dairy, but I've heard that so many times. We did use lots of gas drops, gripe water, and the 5 S's (Happies Baby on the Block).
I love the Aveeno baby wash too! Regular baby lotion is way too scented - even if we weren't having any skin issues! I actually purchased the All free and clear tonight...and need to go get round one of laundry our of the dryer. Gripe water is on my list for sure...sounds like it has worked for so many. Geez...here he goes again...poor thing. Thanks for the tips!
DeleteAlex had torticollis and colic. We went for physical therapy for three months. It sucks, but I think it helped.
ReplyDeleteThe only peace I ever had with Alex's colic was running the vacuum cleaner.Seriously, I burnt two of them up. Now iTunes has different types of vaccuums you can buy. She was born on Oct. 15 and Dec 12 it just stopped. Literally, stopped. The good thing is she is very good tempered now and happy. All the elders say, "she got her crying out."
I just started going dairy free because of all the ear infections. We started with Vanilla Almond Milk. Soy still has stuff in it according to a dude at Dekalb Farmer's Market. So, I have been buying the boxes of it for 1.29. But with your brew, it may be more....We have now moved to the plain or original. Alex does not like the vanilla on her cereal.
If I see coupons, I will give you a shout. Hold you head up, it will pass. I know though with colic it seems like forever.\\
Thanks so much! I may give it a shot...can't hurt right? It's interesting to me that so many people are going dairy-free...must be more common than I thought!
DeleteI'm so sorry. I cannot imagine a colic baby. Molly cried enough for all of us the first 8 - 12 weeks of the twins lives. I thought about going dairy free for the twins with all of their ear infections, but, I found that they are fine with cheese, yogurt...it was the whole milk that seemed to be hard on their tummies. If I were going to try going dairy free, I'd loose the obvious things first and see if that helps over a few weeks. If not, then I might get crazy serious about it. Just my 2 cents...I love ya and I can only imagine how stinking hard it is right now. You are like me, so, I know you hate it...but, ask for and accept all of the help you can get. This is a season...and it will soon pass. And, one day, just like that...you will look at that boy and he will be running and no longer a baby...and your ovaries might hurt just a little :). Chin up, sister.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I might be the worst mom ever...but, I never gave any of mine the vitamin drops that were recommended. My pediatrician told me that if we spent 15 minutes in the sunshine a day, then they'd be just fine. There you have it...I'm really not super mom :)
ReplyDeleteI don't have any advice on any of those topics, but I will say extra prayers for you. While they may not be 'big' deals, they are still things you have to deal with, on top of EVERY.THING.ELSE! hang in there!!
ReplyDeleteI'm dairy free, not because of breastfeeding but as part of eating Paleo and trying to lose weight. The first couple of days you will have cravings but then they go away. There are lots of good dairy free recipes out there (even yummy dessert ones). I've heard a chiropractor might help with colic because they can help alleviate any nerve issues. I just took John Thomas to my chiropractor to help alleviate constipation, and I used to take Nathan for ear infections...so I'm a believer. If your insurance covers is, it might be worth a shot. Praying for you, friend.
ReplyDeleteI had a cry 14 hrs a day refluxer, with torticollis & brahycephaly...Not gonna lie, I thought on some days I was going to die from the hellish-ness haha!I was gluten free, soy free, dairy free and the crying continued..a combo of 2 reflux meds was the only thing that even remotely helped, any chance charlie is a GERD baby? Torticollis was a fairly easy fix,our PT was great & showed me how to stretch him at home..do it as frequently as you can, it is amazing how quickly their little muscles respond! Sending lots of well wishes, I hope the colic passes quickly.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that things are looking up. I know it can seem so overwhelming - a bunch of little things together can be just as traumatic as one big thing. But it sounds like you have it under control. Hang in there. FYI, if you do dairy free, you can still eat Oreos:)
ReplyDeleteI randomly found your blog and can't believe how much we have in common. I also am an Atlanta native living in the Atlanta suburbs, married my high school sweetheart, had infertility, and did IVF. I had boy/girl twins from IVF and then had a surprise baby 18 months later. I did a FET and am about to have baby #4 in June. My four babies will be born within 37 months so you beat me by a month :)
ReplyDeleteWow! It's as though we are living in a parallel universe in the same town! I would love to know more about your story...send me an email sometime! Best of luck with #4!
Delete